Who Can Join the Sons of the American Revolution?
Any man may join who meets the following requirements:
- 18 years or older. Young men under the age of 18 may apply as “Junior Members”.
- A citizen of good repute in the community.
- A lineal descendant of an ancestor who was at all times unfailing in loyalty to, and rendered active service in the cause of, American Independence either as an officer, soldier, seaman, marine, militiaman or minuteman, in the armed forces of the Continental Congress, of any one of the several Colonies or States, as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a member of a Committee of Safety or Correspondence, as a member of any Continental, Provincial, or Colonial Congress or Legislature or as a recognized patriot who performed actual service by overt acts of resistance to the authority of Great Britain.
- Does not advocate the overthrow of the Government of the United States by use of force or violence.
Why Join the Sons of the American Revolution?
The National Society Sons of the American Revolution is the largest male genealogical society in the country; the SAR has tens of thousands of active members in over 550 chapters across the United States and internationally. We are a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and promoting education to our future generations.
By joining the SAR, you will establish a formal link to our country’s historical past, establish a legacy that will live on through your descendants, and celebrate and honor your patriot ancestor’s contributions that helped achieve the liberties that our nation’s citizens enjoy today.
SAR members volunteer countless hours each year in our communities, conduct various educational outreach and youth programs: we support active-duty military personnel and assist veterans; we assist classrooms with living history interpreters; we help with lesson planning materials, and reenactment events for school aged children. We have robust Eagle Scout, ROTC/JROTC, and Sea Cadet programs that recognize the outstanding youths in our communities.
This is an exciting time to become a member of the SAR. We have begun celebrations that will lead up to the 250th anniversary of our country on July 4th, 2026. Our vision with our 5-year program is to become a major recognized voice of the American Revolution by 2026 by educating America about our patriotic and historical past. We look forward to you joining with us in these celebrations.
How Do I Join the Sons of the American Revolution?
If interested in applying for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution, contact the Vice President of Membership James Bunker who will refer you to a local chapter Registrar or you may contact the Registrar at a local chapter directly (view the California chapters location map). We have 24 chapters throughout California.
Your local chapter Registrar will guide you through the SAR membership application process and help you understand the SAR membership application requirements.
All SAR membership applications must be coordinated with and when completed, submitted for review and approval by the local SAR chapter Registrar. All California SAR application forms are prepared using the SAR Online Application Form System.
Useful resources in understanding the SAR membership application process and SAR membership application requirements are the following:
- The National Society SAR website (SAR.org) “Join Now” web pages (including the “Apply in 4 Easy Steps” web pages and linked resources).
- The “Guide to completing an SAR Membership Application” which also includes an example completed SAR membership application form prepared using the SAR Online Application Form System.
- The SAR Patriot Research System: SARPatriots.SAR.org