The Chairman for the Americanism Elementary School Poster Contest is David A. Gilliard.
The 2020 Topic is
“The Boston Massacre”
March 5 2020 is the 250th Anniversary of one of the most famous events leading to the American Revolution – the Boston Massacre. This is our Americanism Poster Contest Topic for the 2019-2020 School Year.
This contest is open to grade school students studying the American Revolution. In California public schools, the American Revolution is normally taught in the 5th grade, but private and charter school may teach it in grades 4 through 6. Entries should be submitted to local SAR chapters through school classrooms or directly by cub scouts and CAR members.
Posters are judged on the following criteria:
Does the poster express the annual theme, show originality and evidence of research. Does the poster show artistic merit and creativity and is it neat and visually pleasing? And, does the poster accurately reflect the yearly topic?
TIP: Check for spelling and historical accuracy!
Additional Information for Chapters:
- 2018 Flyer for Teachers (Chapters should edit with their local information before printing)
- Short video on the Poster Program at one local Chapter
How the contest works:
- Each local school winner will compete at the Chapter level.
- Each Chapter winner will compete at the State level.
- Once the State Society has selected a winner, that poster will compete at the National level.
- Posters must be on a standard 22×28 inch poster board.
- Posters should not be framed or enhanced in any way by the submitting Chapter.
- No “3D” posters will be accepted.
- The posters must conform to the yearly theme and show evidence of research.
- Each Chapter may submit one poster for judging at the California SAR Spring Meeting.
- Please try to have your poster at the Spring Meeting by 7:00PM Friday.
- We will be voting by ballot on Saturday morning. The winner will be announced at the Saturday Luncheon.
- Individual Chapters are free to establish their own awards. State awards for 2018 are as follows:
- First Place: $300
- Second Place: $200
- Third Place: $100
- Fourth Place: $75
- Honorable Mention(s): Awards TBD