The Chairman for the Americanism Elementary School Poster Contest is David A. Gilliard.
The 2017 Topic is
“John Sevier and his Overmountain Men”
Under the National Society’s rules, the topic in 2016-2017 is an individual from the American Revolution. State entries will be judges at the National Congress, July 2017, in Knoxville, Tennessee.
The California Society has chosen the topic of “John Sevier and his Overmountain Men” for the 2016-2017 school year. John Sevier was leader of the Overmountain Men who won the Battle of Kings Mountain and is considered the father of the State of Tennessee.
These websites and others have some good information:
This contest is open to grade school students studying the American Revolution. In California public schools, the American Revolution is normally taught in the 5th grade, but private and charter school may teach it in grades 4 through 6. Entries should be submitted to local SAR chapters through school classrooms or directly by cub scouts and CAR members.
Posters are judged on the following criteria:
Does the poster express the annual theme, show originality and evidence of research. Does the poster show artistic merit and creativity and is it neat and visually pleasing? And, does the poster accurately reflect the yearly topic?
TIP: Check for spelling and historical accuracy!
- Winning Poster Example (1st Place CASSAR, 2nd Place NSSAR 2014)
Additional Information for Chapters:
- Flyer for Teachers (Chapters should add their contact info before printing this flyer)
- Short video on the Poster Program at one local Chapter
How the contest works:
- Each local school winner will compete at the Chapter level.
- Each Chapter winner will compete at the State level.
- Once the State Society has selected a winner, that poster will compete at the National level.
- Posters must be on a standard 22×28 inch poster board.
- Posters should not be framed or enhanced in any way by the submitting Chapter.
- No “3D” posters will be accepted.
- The posters must conform to the yearly theme and show evidence of research.
- Each Chapter may submit one poster for judging at the CASSAR 2015 Spring Meeting.
- Please try to have your poster at the Spring Meeting by 7:00PM Friday.
- We will be voting by ballot on Saturday morning. The winner will be announced at the Saturday Luncheon.
- Individual Chapters are free to establish their own awards. State awards for 2017 are as follows:
- First Place: $300
- Second Place: $200
- Third Place: $100
- Fourth Place: $75
- Honorable Mention (multiple awarded): $30