The Chairman for the Americanism Elementary School Poster Contest is David A. Gilliard.
The 2019 Topic is
“Paul Revere and Sybil Ludington – Messengers for Liberty”
Patriot messengers or couriers who rose by horseback played an important role in the founding of our country.
Paul Revere’s famous ride through the countryside outside Boston is one of the most celebrated events in American History. Revere served as a courier for Sam Adams, Joseph Warren and the Boston Committee of Correspondence, often traveling as far as Philadelphia, carrying reports on the dire situation in Boston.
Sybil Ludington is known as the female Paul Revere because of her 40 mile ride through Putnam and Dutchess Counties in New York to warn the militia that British troops were burning Danbury, Connecticut. She was just 16 years old at the time.
This contest is open to grade school students studying the American Revolution. In California public schools, the American Revolution is normally taught in the 5th grade, but private and charter school may teach it in grades 4 through 6. Entries should be submitted to local SAR chapters through school classrooms or directly by cub scouts and CAR members.
Posters are judged on the following criteria:
Does the poster express the annual theme, show originality and evidence of research. Does the poster show artistic merit and creativity and is it neat and visually pleasing? And, does the poster accurately reflect the yearly topic?
TIP: Check for spelling and historical accuracy!
Additional Information for Chapters:
- 2018 Flyer for Teachers (Chapters should edit with their local information before printing)
- Short video on the Poster Program at one local Chapter
How the contest works:
- Each local school winner will compete at the Chapter level.
- Each Chapter winner will compete at the State level.
- Once the State Society has selected a winner, that poster will compete at the National level.
- Posters must be on a standard 22×28 inch poster board.
- Posters should not be framed or enhanced in any way by the submitting Chapter.
- No “3D” posters will be accepted.
- The posters must conform to the yearly theme and show evidence of research.
- Each Chapter may submit one poster for judging at the California SAR Spring Meeting.
- Please try to have your poster at the Spring Meeting by 7:00PM Friday.
- We will be voting by ballot on Saturday morning. The winner will be announced at the Saturday Luncheon.
- Individual Chapters are free to establish their own awards. State awards for 2018 are as follows:
- First Place: $300
- Second Place: $200
- Third Place: $100
- Fourth Place: $75
- Honorable Mention(s): Awards TBD